Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Tales of this shopkeeper...we interrupt this regularly scheduled life..

We interrupt this regularly scheduled life to bring you a brief mini crisis!!  As a shopkeeper our business and personal life often intersect, become entangled or one just takes over.  Such has been my week so far....

Without going into too much detail I will give you some background info.  My dad lives with us.  He is 90 years old, very sharp but has become physically frail the last few months since my mom passed away.
He has enriched our lives in many ways and being a business owner himself in the past has cheered us on to start our own business.  He has gotten a "kick" out of watching us unload all sorts of industrial items that he just couldn't believe people would want and then gives us a "pat" on the back when he hears we have sold them.

Monday is my day off to do cleaning (sometimes), errands and run dad around.  In the back of my mind I had the day all planned out.  By 1:00 I figured we would be done with most everything and I could get started on some projects for the shop.  Then, I planned, my hubby and I would be up after dinner at the shop painting and waxing.  Great plan??  Ah, yes, those plans.....

Reminds me of the verse  "The mind of the man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." Pro.16:9

Well, direct He did!  I won't go into detail except to say that early Monday morning a very scarey 15 minutes ensued, followed by a 911 call and trip to the ER.  Six hours later, dad was admitted for tests and an overnight stay.

 Tuesday, I'm usually open for business but not being able to get someone at short notice to work for me I ran to the shop, put a sign on the door and let go.....letting go involves realizing Someone bigger is in control.....thankfully!  Letting go involves trusting the One who has the whole picture in front of Him and who has my best interest AND my dad's at hand.  The shop could wait and all the things that were going to fall into place for the week as I so neatly planned would have to wait.

Tuesday brought more tests and nine hours of sitting and waiting with dad as the hospital decided to discharge him.....nothing conclusive, all tests negative.  My dad was safely in his bed by 8:00 Tuesday night grateful to be home.

It's now Wednesday a.m.....the "open" sign is on the door and I sit in the quiet of the shop thinking through the last 48 hours.  A good friend of ours has offered to spend the days with dad while I'm at  work.  He is able to work from our house on his laptop and enjoys being with dad.  My dad is comfortable with him and respects him......those plans.....my plans...."the Lord directs our steps".

Yes, I missed customers, yes, I missed phone calls.....I missed the results of my neat little plans.  But the shop is still here and nothing can replace the time spent with dad, the "being there" for him when he was struggling and the huge blessing of a friend who has stepped forward to help us out.

A customer walks in. "I was here yesterday but you were closed" she says sweetly.  "I read your sign that there was an emergency. Is everything alright?"  "Yes, it is for now" I say," thanks for coming back."
I realize now that this little shop....this business that I've enjoyed so much will only exist for as long as
"the Lord directs my steps" in this direction and that no amount of planning on my part will ever compare to the richness and blessings that come from trusting Him with those "interruptions in my life."

"Excuse me. I'm sorry to interrupt...." the customer is saying as I'm ringing up a sale and I turn and smile.

1 comment:

  1. As a mom my plans too are interrupted QUITE often :) as you know! And often times I am reminded by the LORD that these babies will only be babies for a very short time and everything else can wait....so easy to forget sometimes. SO glad to hear your sweet Dad is home....we're still praying...

    ReplyDelete