Thursday, April 19, 2012

Tales of this Shopkeeper - Annie Sloan Chalk Paint bonding...

It's Thursday morning and I'm usually picking up my chalk paint order to run to the shop and then take off for places unknown to go junking.
This week my girl that works on Thursdays is on vacation so I'm here for the day....a long day into night as we are having an Annie Sloan Chalk Paint workshop right here at Winsome Cottage.
As the business day progresses I go over my list of things to do before it gets too late, moving furniture and getting tables set up. I make sure there is room for the ten people that will be attending. I cover tables with paper and make sure everyone has all that is needed at each place to complete their project.
It's a rather quiet business day today so I am able to finish up quickly. Several texts back and forth between Debra( the instructor) and I to make sure we have everything before the workshop begins.
Someone calls to see if they can get in to the workshop at the last minute. Couldn't I just make an allowance?? I have to be the "bad guy" and tell them we are maxed out this session so "no". This happens once or twice each time we have something like this in the shop.
I stand back and double check the set up. Looks like we're ready.
Debra Campbell is our instructor and full of information and expertise. She loves to teach and makes the workshop interesting.
Half of the people have driven quite a distance and I feel grateful to have them here. As everyone is introducing themselves I am struck by the common bond that we all have with this paint. Some hope to open a shop of their own, one painted furniture for their salon business, others are using it to transform their homes. Love being around these dumpster diving, repurpose-loving, creative people!
Debra walked everyone through the steps of applying the paint to make a chalkboard. In between she discussed and answered questions. There was time to chat and get to know a little more about each other.
Then Debra demonstrated how to use clear and dark wax on the frames and answered more questions.


A great evening and I learn something new everytime. One idea I came away with is simple "barcelona orange" over "provence." That will be the next piece! Sounds beautiful, thanks Debra!
And speaking of orange....we are now in full swing and this is the newest window piece that I just finished...
Loving that Barcelona!

1 comment:

  1. Had a great time MaryKay! Will be seeing you again before too long, we decided we should have gotten some of the orange paint. Maybe a week or two.

    ReplyDelete